1983 – Spring ’83 Class Letter
It is the spring of 2021 and I am still working from home. Our hope is to start back to the office in April for two days a week. This Class Letter is being written from the airport as I await my first work trip flight since the fall of 2019 (which also seems unbelievable). Looking forward to leaving below zero temperatures for beautiful Palm Springs and enjoying a couple of days golfing, as well.
JOHN CLAY ’83 is thoroughly enjoying retirement and is able to watch almost every Olympic event. Colorado continues to call with family visits and especially to see our grandson who will be turning one in April. We have a road trip planned for the end of March and looking forward to seeing them. In July, we are heading out on a 17-day road trip to Banff with some good friends. Hopefully, we remain good friends after this excursion, but we are not too worried.
Here are the updates at the time that this Class Letter is being written:
- MARGARET ALGAR AARON ’83 of Oregon, Wisconsin, writes, “My husband and I are fully retired. 2020 brought the gift of a new granddaughter. I am studying Spanish and hope to do volunteer work with Spanish-speaking people.”
- A new book by Professor Emeritus of History William J. Woolley P’92 will be published in March by the University Press of Kansas titled, “Creating the Modern Army: Citizen Soldiers and the American Way of War, 1919-1939.” Dr. Woolley taught at Ripon from 1969 to 2001, and the book was inspired by the course American Military Institutions that he taught at Ripon.
- Ripon Hall of Fame Coach Bob Gillespie P’03/P’11 was inducted into Lewis University’s Academy of Coaches. He was honored with three others during halftime of the Lewis University men’s basketball game Saturday, Jan. 15. Gillespie is the winningest coach in Ripon College history in both baseball and men’s basketball.
- #OneDayRally was a great success last spring and we look forward to positive results for the 2022 #OneDayRally. More to come, mark your calendar for 4/27/22, and note that there will be a focus to invite new donors to be a part of a matching gift offering.
- Ripon graduation will be held on May 15th this year with plans to return to pre-COVID traditions.
- Ripon was recognized by onlyinyourstate.com as having one of the “Seven Best Downtown Areas in Wisconsin!” And, it was recognized as “One of the 10 Most Magical Christmas Towns” in Wisconsin.
- Alumni Weekend will be held 6/23-6/26/22, highlights include –
- All-Class Gathering at Roadhouse Pizza – Thursday evening
- Doc Weiske ’50 Memorial Golf Scramble at The Golf Courses of Lawsonia – Friday
- Lunch and Wine Tasting – Friday
- Campus Tours, Faculty Talks – Friday
- Rally Walk/Run – Saturday morning
- Greek Socials, “That Was Then” Storytelling Session – Saturday
- Farewell Brunch – Sunday
Thanks for your continued support and involvement with Ripon College. Our 40th Reunion is just around the corner… June 22-25, 2023! Mark your calendars.
BARB WILLIAMS CLAY
Your 1983 Class Agent